Wednesday, November 5, 2025

EDUC 5313: Week 4

 

For this week's blog assignment, I was given the task of creating a lesson plan using an AI tool designed to support the work of educators, Magic School. The two tools within the program that I tried out were the Lesson Plan Generator and the Jeopardy Review Game. I was pleased with both of the features. 

Evaluation the Lesson Plan

Using the Lesson Plan Generator was pretty simple. You type the standard in one box, add any critieria in another, and include any standards you want to align with in the last box. Overall, I believe this is a good lesson plan. The learning goal is clear, it has engaging activities, and includes smart ways to use technology to help students identify common and proper nouns. I also like that a learning strategy, Think, Pair, Share, was included in the plan to support student learning. 

A few things I would change with this lesson are the length and some of the activities.  I think it is too long to finish in one day, so I would break it down into two lessons or simplify some of the steps. I would also include an example of a paragraph revision to show what a meaningful noun improvement looks like. While I like the idea of rotations, I'm not sure that I would include them due to time constraints. 

If you would like to look at the lesson plan, here is the link: Noun Lesson Plan

Additional AI Tools

The Jeopardy Game Feature was also very easy to use. Like the Lesson Plan Generator, you enter the grade and standard, then add the categories you want to review.  It's a great way to review content, although it feels limited with only two categories. This would work best after covering a few more parts of speech. 

Here is the link if you would like to look at the game: Jeopardy Noun Review

This lesson plan aligns well with both the Triple E Framework and the ISTE Standards. Students stay engaged through quizzes, collaborative docs, and partner work, using technology to analyze and revise sentence clarity. Students act as empowered learners and creative communicators by improving and sharing their writing digitally.

Reflection

After exploring Magic School, I can see it becoming a valuable resource in my teaching toolkit. It saves planning time, helps create new ideas, and supports differentiation for diverse learners. I especially like that it provides the whole picture, including a hook, learning strategy, exit ticket, and assessment ideas. I'm excited to try it out and see how it enhances my teaching, and I would definitely share it with my colleagues, especially those looking to integrate AI responsibly. 

Resources

International Society for Technology in Education. (2016). ISTE standards for students. ISTE.

Kolb, L. (2011). Triple E Framework. University of Michigan, School of Education.

Magic School, Inc. (n.d.). AI for educators | MagicSchoolhttps://www.magicschool.ai/

Oklahoma State Department of Education. (2021). Oklahoma Academic Standards for English Language Arts: Oklahoma State ELA Standards

OSDE. (2024). Guidance and Considerations for Using Artificial Intelligence in Oklahoma K-12 Schools. Retrieved from: https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/en/osde/documents/services/standards-learning/educational-technology/Guidance-and-Considerations-for-Artificial-Intelligence-in-Oklahoma-Schools.pdf



3 Comments:

At November 6, 2025 at 3:06 PM , Blogger Carmie Beal said...

I really enjoyed reading your reflection and completely agree with your thoughts on the Lesson Plan Generator. I also found it super easy to use. I enjoyed being able to type in the standard, add criteria, and watch it build a full, aligned lesson in minutes. I like that your plan included Think, Pair, Share and technology to help students identify common and proper nouns. Those strategies make the lesson more interactive and keep students engaged instead of just memorizing rules.

I also agree that the lesson might run a little long. Splitting it into two parts or showing a paragraph revision example would definitely make it more manageable and help students see what “improving a noun” looks like in action. The Jeopardy Game feature sounds fun, I love that it turns review time into something students actually look forward to, even if it could use a few more categories.

Your connection to the Triple E Framework and ISTE Standards was right on target. The lesson clearly encourages collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking through technology. Like you, I can really see Magic School becoming a go-to tool in my classroom. It saves time, gives fresh ideas, and supports all kinds of learners. I especially like how it includes everything from the hook to the assessment. I’d definitely recommend it to colleagues who want to bring AI into their teaching in a thoughtful, engaging way.

 
At November 7, 2025 at 7:27 PM , Blogger PipBeck75 said...

You gave a solid overview of Magic School and were realistic about its pros and cons. I agree that the lesson plan was well-structured but a bit long for one day. Breaking it into two parts and adding a clear example of paragraph revision would make it stronger.

Your reflection on the Jeopardy game was fair too. It is a good review tool but limited with only two categories. You tied everything well to the Triple E Framework and ISTE Standards, showing how AI can support, not replace, strong teaching

 
At November 10, 2025 at 5:45 AM , Blogger Emily Michaels said...

I also liked the lesson plan generator. It generated a good lesson plan for me on contractions for second graders. I was reading other reviews, and more than one person mentioned that the time frames provided were too short as well. I like the idea of the Jeopardy game! My students like reviewing with games like that. I will also have to try it out. I will have to find a way to add more categories to the game.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home