EDUC 5313: Week 1
Hello everyone! My name is Melody McCarty, and I’m from the small town of Barnsdall, Oklahoma. I’ve worked in education for 16 years and recently returned to the classroom after spending five years as an RTI Specialist. I’m currently teaching 4th grade (self-contained).
I received my Bachelor's Degree from Northeastern State University and started pursuing my Master’s in Curriculum & Instruction with an emphasis in Technology in May 2024. I have taught a little bit of everything. PK, ELA for 4th, 5th, 6th, Junior High, and 9th grade, 5th grade Science and Social Studies.
My husband and I have been married for 31 years and were blessed with three boys. They are grown now, and two of them have started families of their own...the youngest is still looking for his future wife. I have the pleasure of being “Mellie” to 4 of the most precious granddaughters. Cameron is 4, Reagan turns 2 in December, Breckyn will be 1 in April, and Jovie will be 1 in May. My youngest granddaughters are a month apart! My world was completely changed when they came into my life, and I absolutely adore them.
For this assignment, we have been asked to review the ISTE Standards for Students along with our state content standards, then select a topic or group of standards that interests us. As I looked through both, one ISTE standard really stood out to me—ISTE Standard 3: Knowledge Constructor, specifically indicator 3b, which says:
“Students evaluate the accuracy, perspective, credibility, and relevance of information, media, data, or other resources.”
That got me thinking about how often students come across information online and how important it is for them to know what’s reliable and what’s not.
The Activity: Digital Ecosystem Research
In this activity, my students would explore how plants and animals survive and grow, which connects to our science standard 4-LS1-1. Each student would choose a plant or animal to research using safe, teacher-approved websites like National Geographic Kids, PebbleGo, or other digital resources.
We’d spend time discussing what makes a source trustworthy and why it’s important to question where information comes from. After gathering their research, students would create a digital presentation using Google Slides or Canva and share their findings with the class.
Why I Love This Idea
This project blends science and technology in a way that feels natural and engaging. Students become curious researchers, creative designers, and thoughtful digital citizens—all at once. They’re not just learning science content; they’re also practicing essential skills like evaluating sources and thinking critically about what they read online.
I love how the ISTE Standards push us to go beyond simply using technology—they encourage us to teach students how to use it wisely, responsibly, and with purpose.



3 Comments:
Hi Melody, it is good to meet you. It sounds like you have had quite the diversity of experience within the field of education! I enjoy how you allow choice in this assignment for your students, it is a great way to build that engagement. I am curious how you work with them on the use of sources. Do you only provide that list or do you allow exploration beyond that? It is definitely a difficult task introducing that young of students to internet-based research and I am always looking for new techniques to help me in this!
Hi Melody! I'm so glad to read your post. I absolutely love the idea of having students understand the difference between trustworthy sites and what could potentially be wrong information. That is so important to teach students, not just for school, but for life. Great job!
Hi Melody! It's cool to read that you've stepped back into the classroom after 16 years... how is it going? I hope you are enjoying being back and having a blast with your students. Also, congrats on being "Mellie" to your grandkids! Your assignment sounds engaging and informative for students. Not only did you mention your subject matter but also the topic of discussing what makes a source trustworthy, which is very important. Your post here was informative and great! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to learn with you in this class!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home